Tuesday, April 2, 2019

#30facesofautism 2019 - Day 2


Day 2 – Let me begin by saying a heartfelt thank you to everyone who helped us LIGHT THE WORLD UP BLUE for Autism Awareness today.  I am so grateful to each and every one of you for your support of us.  It dawned on me today that Avin has no idea that she is autistic, or has autism, or experiences an autism spectrum disorder, or whatever other PC way you want to use to characterize her uniquely differentness. Some days she IS a fairy, or a puppy, or a princess, or a mermaid.  She IS a second grader, a reader, a writer, a game player, a dancer, a friend.  She IS polite, loving, spicy, brilliant and opinionated and beautiful.  She IS a niece, a cousin, a sister, a daughter, a granddaughter.  And quite frankly, most days – she IS a unicorn, but that’s a post for another day. So, this morning after she put on her blue I decided I should at least try to tell her we were wearing it "to make people aware of autism".  I have to keep it real, REAL simple with new vocabulary for which there is ZERO context.  I said this several times on the way to school and asked her to repeat what I was saying and she did – sometimes that helps.  Just know that autism comes out autistim every single time.   As we were turning into the parking lot I switched it up and asked a question - Why are we wearing blue today?  Her reply – I’m cceelleebbrraattiinngg people with autistim!! That’s right Baby Girl, because no label will ever define you – you, my dear, will always define who you are for yourself! #30facesofautism