Thursday, April 25, 2019

#30facesofautism 2019 - Day 25


Day 25 – A kid finally told Baby Girl she was weird. It was bound to happen because kids are just rotten that way sometimes. For all I know it has happened before this time and she didn’t notice or didn’t have enough language to express it. Of course, if I hadn’t been paying very close attention I would not have known it happened at all. One night after we got home from school I noticed she was acting out something odd over and over, making a strange face and saying something low, almost under her breath. I hit pause on everything and focused intently on what she was doing and then I heard it, “You are so weird.” I knew better than to draw attention to it and I quickly distracted her. It took a bit of detective work by one of her sweet teachers the next day to discover that it did indeed happen - the culprit fessed up immediately. My brain tells me she had no idea exactly what weird meant in the way it was being used to characterize her.  However, my heart knows there was an understanding of the meaning in that reenactment – the look on her face, in the tone of her voice, even in the way she was carrying her body. #30facesofautism

No comments: