Thursday, April 4, 2019

#30facesofautism 2019 - Day 4


Day 4Since we are on the subject of dogs, we’ll continue - we have one, and a cat.  Baby Girl LOVES them, except she really doesn’t.  Confusing isn’t it?  If you ask her she will tell you she loves them and she will gush about a picture or a video of a cute puppy or kitty.  But in reality she is terrified of both.  They are too unpredictable – the dog is too hyper and the cat is too sneaky – neither of these work for her.  She cannot tolerate being startled – think back to the hand dryer incident.  Same type of thing.  We can keep it under control at home although it requires us facilitating some separation between her and the dog.  Poor Ford.  Baby Girl facilitates her own separation from the cat by always knowing precisely were the cat is and then herding her into my closet, and then shutting the door. Poor Gracie.  It is hard though when we are out in public or at a friend’s house with animals – she and I are both a ball of raw nerves.  I was raised with enough manners not to want to make my hosts feel bad about my seven year old screaming at or running from their sweet precious pup who wouldn’t hurt a flea or their 25 year old cat who hasn’t moved off the ottoman in months.  I end up doing nothing but apologizing and trying to run interference.  I know the fear she has isn’t rational but I can tell you it is real.  It’s time for us to take the dog out and Baby Girl will put his food down for him and make sure he has water while I walk him on the leash because she loves him in the only way she can.  Then after bedtime I’ll go let the cat out of the closet…#30facesofautism


No comments: