Saturday, April 7, 2018

#30facesofautism - Day 7


Day 7 – I quit being in a dazed state of denial and said the words “I’m worried” out loud to my pediatrician one day. I’ll never forget the look on her face – she knew that I knew – and she knew that it was time for action.  Twice a week language therapy, and once a week occupational therapy began immediately.  The speech pathologist also started feeding therapy (who knew there was such a thing) because the child would only touch about 5 foods.  All of these therapies continued with a private provider while I figured out to engage the public school system in the county where we live (it is not the same one where I work).  Early Steps and Child Find to the rescue.  Once I was able to register her into my system the ball really started rolling.  Exceptional student education services started and eventually physical therapy was added.  Luckily she graduated from feeding therapy years ago and has a much wider palate.  I could never put into words how grateful I am for those first providers that loved, challenged and changed my girl!  Y’all, there is nothing as important as early intervention, NOTHING. This is our first day of therapy.  I’m sure I had just snatched PACI out of her mouth because – JUDGEMENT. #30facesofautism #autismawareness


No comments: