Monday, April 16, 2018

#30facesofautism - Day 15


Day 15 – Language has been the MAJOR issue for us since the beginning – it’s why you are reading about it again.  Baby Girl has been in language therapy since just after she turned two.  There have been times of slow and steady growth and then other times of “holy moly” growth.  When I stand and look back it is astounding the difference, but you know that is all relative – she is still pretty far behind.  I can clearly remember the day she strung a whole bunch of words together into a sentence that expressed a desire and made sense for the first time.   June 6, 2016 was the day and at about 7:53 AM this precious little thing looked at me on the way out of the door and said, “I need brown baby ride the car with me.” I stopped dead still, typed it into a note on my phone and then marched myself back inside to get brown baby ASAP.  Let’s be clear here - I would have crawled through shards of broken glass to get brown baby if it had been required.  That little sentence was BIG.  Right now we are in a stage of exponential growth.  This morning while I was eating my breakfast she asked, “Are you enjoying your meal?”  I stopped dead still, typed it into a note on my phone and then proceeded to enjoy every morsel of that biscuit with a huge grin on my face.  Now I know this came directly from her Lunch Bunch which doubles as Social Skills Therapy but I do not care that it is learned language.  That is precisely the point – she’s learning how and why words work and how to use them.  So AMEN to that! #30facesofautism
PS -There’s some research out there about Methyl B12 (the vitamin) and its impact on the brain and language – she takes one chewable tab a day right now and we have all noticed a difference.



No comments: