Wednesday, April 11, 2018

#30facesofautism - Day 11


Day 11 – Lines.  Baby Girl is a little obsessed with the “line”.  She likes to be first in line, a lot of kids her age do, right? Alright – her passion for being the line leader is intense.  Her Kindergarten teachers broke her of this compulsion, or at least melting down when she didn’t always get that distinction, pretty quickly but I see her.  I watch her calculating where she sits at lunch or what moves the para is making that indicate they are about to get in line. She places herself at the most opportune place at just the right time to position herself for the ready.  Smart, smart cookie. Now at home she still tries to herd us back and be first going down the hall to bed or to the car in the morning or in the queue at Disney.  I pick my battles folks.  This same fixation also applies to how she plays quite often with some of her toys.  I could absolutely kick myself for missing the first “line”.  She had about 25 of these little jokers waiting in line while one of them sat on the little potty from the dollhouse.  Pure genius.  I can only wonder if “lines” help her find order and create sense out of some of the chaos that comes when your expressive and receptive language aren’t connected to your age.  Over time, as she grew and matured, the lines sometimes popped up as Peppa “crop circles”.  Each perfectly thought out and formed.  My all-time favorite is the circle of “BBQ” (Peppa is a pig people) on the grill! #30facesofautism





No comments: