Friday, April 6, 2018

#30facesofautism - Day 6


Day 6 – Well, this is not what I expected to write about tonight but the fever and strep that jumped on Baby Girl today was not expected either.  She is hardly ever sick and honestly it came at a most inopportune time, just as I was trying to balance a 7 million dollar budget and do para evaluations!  Life.  I hate it when this girl is sick.  It is always a little scary because she was not always able to really tell us how she felt or where it hurt.  Today, I realized that just wasn’t the case anymore.  Maybe my clue that this was coming should have been the first words she said to me this morning – “my throatmouth hurts – check my temperature”.  You think? I mean I did take her temperature and she did not have fever, she ate breakfast and was bubbly – I promise.  I’ve gotten so good at having to read her that sometimes I don’t listen.  Today was a milestone.  It’s the first time she really told me what was happening physically –and that’s HUGE.  Make sure you are always listening.  PS - There is nothing quite like having to administer medication or deliver medical treatment to a child who does not “understand the words that are coming outta my mouth” (Rush Hour) or reason like most.  Strangely the medicine she takes every day is no issue at all but you pull out some Advil or Zithromax and you better be R E A D Y! It will either be WWF Wrestlemania OR an absolute CRAZY negotiation that would rival the Geneva Conventions!  Administering medication is one thing, BUT delivering medical treatment is quite another.  After some “Stone Cold” negotiations (you picking up what I’m putting down?) THIS breathing treatment happened. I was there, I made it happen, me and 10 ‘off camera’ Dum Dum lollipops.  And, after it happened, I needed a paper bag, an aspirin, a shower and a beverage. Life.

No comments: