Saturday, April 4, 2020

#30facesofautism 2020 - Day 4


Day 4 - Let me start by saying I don’t believe in homework. We don’t do it. I let teachers know up front at the beginning of the year that we aren’t doing it and we will take whatever consequence comes from that decision. We just can’t. By the time we get home on school days it’s dinner, bath and bed for Baby Girl - who really doesn’t even want to be talked to by that time of the day. I’m not going to make the one and half hour we have as a family miserable by wrestling over doing it. Nope. Not gonna happen. Until...that one night she begged to do the math homework. What??? 😳 A page of fluency multiplication problems - she hates fluency and isn’t really fond of math. 🥴 Fluency is an issue because of the pressure of timing and she has a touch of perfectionist in her, the first in our family, of course. 🙄 But - she was adamant. She got her paper and her pencil and then commanded I get her a calculator. Do you think I could put my hands on a calculator?? No. Panic ensued until she pointed out I could find one on the phone - genius. 🤓 Part of the process in helping her feel empowered in math was to give her tools and teach her how to use them so that the torturous hard stuff became easy and she gained confidence - genius teachers. 🤩 The page of multiplication problems was completed in no time and she was beaming with a beautiful sense of accomplishment. 🥰 Maybe homework isn’t so bad after all? Naw... #ihatehomework #30facesofautism 

No comments: