Friday, February 22, 2008

Posting and PUPPIES!!!!

Do you know that feeling you get when you are teaching yourself something new? It is a mix of excitement, frustration, and then elation. I prefer the elation but to tell you the truth during that frustration part is were the really good stuff takes place. Problem solving, creating, analyzing, applying, synthesizing all happen when you are engaged in an activity that doesn't always feel comfortable but pays off in huge ways when pride in the accomplishment of something longed for is achieved.

My dog is about to have puppies - yeah, that's right, I said puppies. My daughter is positively thrilled, her dad and I are nervous. The dog's gestational timeline does not understand that this is one of the single most hectic times of the school year for me. My life right now is consumed with one word - EVALUATIONS! We had planned for our dog to have puppies one day, just not NOW. When we agreed to start the breeding business I promptly offered up that I would design the website we would use. How hard could it be, right? HAH!

I spent the better part of last weekend consumed with teaching myself how to design, create, and edit our site using a new program called Expression Web. News alert - Melanie does not know the program - yikes! I'll spend sometime this weekend getting the site finished and then posting it to the web (in between checking on the little ones who are due to arrive at any moment). I don't think I did too bad for a first attempt but boy, it sure wasn't the piece of cake I thought it would be. I rationalized, used trial and error, deciphered computer code, wrote and edited content, built the whole thing from a blank white screen. I was excited, frustrated and elated all at the same time!!!!

I was also reminded - reminded of how important it is to teach our students how to be self directed learners. I was driven by a need to know, but where would I be, if along the way I had never been taught to think through problems, not to give up, to search for answers or alternative solutions, to look for help. There will come a time in our students' lives when they will be faced with something challenging, something new and it is absolutely critical that they have the skills to tackle the task and teach themselves how to maneuver through. Self directed learning isn't always easy but it sure is satisfying.

I'll keep you posted on the pups and the website!

Believing is just the beginning...

7 comments:

Patricia Wallace said...

"Self directed learning isn't always easy but it sure is satisfying." - I must admit that I will be 'borrowing' this phrase and sharing it with my students. When doing different investigations or activities in science, at times there seems to be a hesitance in taking a relevant risk due to their fear of being incorrect in proving their predictions. I think your words truly describe the philosophy I would like for them to take with them not only in science but throughout their lives.
“If I find 10,000 ways something won’t work, I haven’t failed. I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.” - Thomas A. Edison

Again, thank you for sharing your experience in creating your webpage and as to the new upcoming puppies, congratulations!

- Patricia

Melanie Holtsman said...

Can't wait to see your site up on the web! :)

dayle timmons said...

Why do I have the feeling that I am going to know more about these puppies than I ever wanted to know? dayle

Anonymous said...

I heard from Susan Clapp the newest puppy additions to the Chets Creek family were born Friday night! Congrats! I can't wait to see pictures or perhaps a visit to school... :-)

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the outcome of your effort, the web page. Obviously, the outcome of the passion for cute canines has already paid off.

I have a feeling that if I had pups to offer my kids, they would crawl over broken glass to do math.

I guess that's really the key, finding the passion that lurks just beneath the veneer of each child. I wish that I had a more systematic way to make these discoveries. Any ideas? Some teachers seem to know everything about each child. Me, I know some, but most of it I just stumble upon. There has to be a system?


T-Cubed

Morgan's Mouseketeers said...

Puppies are so much fun! I grew up with Lhasas and my family bred 3 or 4 times. I remember the joy of them being born and the heartache of them being sold. The money from selling each precious baby went to put my dad through seminary in Texas. I wish we had the technology then to have a website to feature our lovable pups! Congrats on your new bundles of joy! It will bring many ups and downs.

Julie Johnson said...

Congratulations GrandMa!!!!