Thursday, September 5, 2013

She Left at Dismissal...

At 3:15 this afternoon all 1296 students exited school for dismissal. 1295 of them walked the halls towards the car line or bus loop or extended day. They shared silly stories, laughed at each other, worried about homework - acted like kids. And then 1departed our school forever. 

Three days following a tragic accident our sweet little Linda left us at dismissal, peacefully. Losing this child has been the hardest thing I have experienced as a principal, by far. I am worried about my teachers, staff, parents, Linda's family, the community and especially my children. It will be crucial that our Chets family stick together and take care of each other in the days and weeks and months ahead.   

As I think about how difficult this week has been I also realize how appropriate it is that today she left at the same time, right along with all her friends...

6 comments:

Mrs. Patricia Wallace said...

Still praying for peace and comfort for the families, friends, and loved ones in the days to come.

Mrs. Metzger and Mrs. Morris said...

A difficult post to write but beautifully done. As always, leading with your heart. So proud of our school community as we rally around this family at such a sad time. Lori Metzger

Kim M said...

Heartbreaking. It has been such an emotional roller coaster this week and you summed it up beautifully. Prayers and wishes of Peace to you, the teachers and staff, her family and the children.
Take care of yourself...you're doing an amazing job.

Anonymous said...

I am left with so many thoughts after this week. My heart aches for all that were touched by Linda's death. I simply cannot imagine the level of grief being experienced by her family.

I am also very aware that we are somewhat lucky to live in a time and place where the life of an individual young person is valued so highly. I know there are places in the world, indeed in our own country, where life is extremely precarious on a daily basis. I truly hope that we figure out a way to ease such suffering on a global scale.

Finally, I loved your post, as it points out the one uplifting thought that came to my mind. Linda will always be remembered as the beautiful young girl that she was when she "left with the other kids". She will never age in our memories.

Peace,

T-Cubed

Anonymous said...

YOUR THE BEST!I thanked god for her :( I prayed for you :)
Love Emily

What a beautifully written perspective...She Left the school at dismissal only to arrive directly in Jesus' arms. You have handled this tragedy with such grace and have led with remarkable strength. Thank you for loving EACH of your students so deeply. Continued prayers...

Suzanne said...

There is no manual, no sure direction, but as one foot steps in front of the other day by day, we'll make her proud as she watches over us from afar...